Sunday, April 7, 2013

Are you Preparing??

So happy to have a post by our friend Natalie Peterson!  GOOD JOB NAT!
 
I had repeatedly heard the phrase: "Check your 72-hour kits every 6 months; if you do it the same weekend as General Conference, then you will be on track in keeping those updated." Last year (April 2012), General Conference came and went. I knew I had some stuff in our 72-hour kits, but not a lot, and I knew I hadn't looked at them for a few years. My mom had given me two basic kits for Christmas about 5 or so years ago.
 
I got the distinct impression soon after Conference that I needed to look at my 72-hour kits, add to them, and keep them updated. First, I needed to get organized. I pulled out our two kits and wrote down the things that I had. Then I found a list of 72-hour kits that I really liked. I decided I needed 6 kits for our family, 1 for Pete to have out at work (he works at the Site-I've heard stories of people being trapped out there during awful winter storms), and I decided to work on two car kits as well. I crossed off the things that we had that weren't outdated. I printed off my list, and stuck it in my purse. That way I knew I'd have it with me when I went grocery shopping.
 
I decided to just gather a little bit at a time, just a few items every grocery trip (maybe $5 or $10). I noticed the times that I was consistently buying and adding to my kits, my budget seemed to stretch for my other groceries as well. We truly are blessed when we try and keep our Heavenly Father's commandments.
 
It took me quite a while, but I finally had all of the items on my list. I felt so elated!
 
This last Family Home Evening, I was in charge of the lesson. We talked to our kids about what could happen disaster-wise, and why and how we should be prepared. We asked them to think of things that could happen; they came up with losing a job, earthquakes, tornadoes, power outages.

I pointed out that if it's winter and our house loses power, our house would get cold inside. We talked about Hurricane Sandy, and how those people didn't have power to use their phones, or food, etc. I also told them about a time when our power went out when I was a junior in high school, and how people were panicking, not knowing when they would get power again. My mom had us fill water coolers with water while she went to the store, where every shelf was cleared out. Thankfully, it only lasted for the good part of a day. I also mentioned the fires last summer, where some people had to evacuate their homes quickly, and how we need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

So we asked them what we should have in our 72-hour kits to be prepared. They mentioned food, water, blankets (warmth), and entertainment. I had set out all the stuff I had gathered in a some-what organized fashion. It was crazy to see it all set out on the table. Bit by bit truly adds up to a lot! We had them each pick out a backpack, and handed them the items that they needed in their bags. They were excited about the clothes, and the coloring books that I had picked out. I had them put in the basics, then later on my own I did the stuff for the car kits, and finished up our 72-hour kits. They're VERY full, but even my youngest can carry hers (I'm sure for a limited time, though, but at least we have stuff for her that my husband could carry for her). And as they get older their ability will grow.
A couple of things: before, when I was gathering clothes for my kids, I got their size, or maybe one size up. Because I hadn't checked my kits for so long, the clothes I had in there for my oldest were too small for even my youngest to wear. So this time I decided to get really really big. Even though I will check my kits every 6 months, I don't want to have to worry about getting new sizes every time.

For food: again, I didn't want to have to rotate really fast through it. For instance, on the list that I found, it called for soda crackers and graham crackers. But when I looked at the expiration dates at the store, those lasted for only about 4 or 5 months. So even if I rotated every 6 months, they'd be stale, and we'd just have to throw them out instead of being able to eat them. I found some ready-to-eat meals by Mountain House, where you just add hot water into the pouch. They last for 7 YEARS. I also grabbed tuna and chili, which both last about 2 years. I do have some things that need to be rotated often though: hot chocolate packets, fruit roll-ups and fruit snacks, Jolly Ranchers, and Werthers Original. But I put those things in gallon-sized bags, and stuck them on the very top of each kit, so I can just pull them out and replace those, and we can still eat them before they go bad.
 
I also found these multi-use tools for our kits that I really liked. One was scissors, that also had wire cutters, and a bottle opener, and can opener, etc. Like, 12-in-one. I also found some pliers that had different kinds of tools in the handles, like how Swiss army knives are. I also found winding flashlights, which I like because then I don't have to buy expensive batteries that expire.
 
Well, I think that's about it. I am so excited to have my kits all done! I feel secure, and prepared. I know that if we follow the counsel of the prophets, we will be blessed. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment