Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Car Kits

On my "TO DO" list this month was to complete car kits for each of our cars.   Here is what I came up with.  I want to encourage everybody to try and assemble some sort of kit for your car(s) sometime in November.  I'd love for you to comment or email me with what you came up with!

In the front seat console:

 


Hand Sanitizer
Matches
Window Scraper
Phone Book
Lotion
Sunglasses
First Aid Kit - includes: bandaids, gauze, cleaning pads, medical tape, scissors, tweezers, Benadryl
*I have this one in the front mostly for when my kids need bandaids and such. 
Flash Light

In the very back in a rubbermaid tote:

Water bottles for everyone in the family
Strawberry Applesauce to go
Granola Bars
Almonds
Atlas
Baby Wipes
Diapers
Kid Books
Book of Mormon
Added: a few pairs of hat & gloves

In the back of the car in a bag:

Tow Rope
Reflector Triangle
Flares
Flashlight
D Cell batteries
Poncho
Safety Vest
Chemical Handwarmers
Fabric Blanket
Knit Gloves
Glow Sticks

Mini Air Compressor
Jumper Cable
Tools: flat head & phillips screwdrivers, pliers, socket wrench

___________________________________
So the last kit I have in the back of my car was a preassembled gift from my mom a few years back.  We had one in one car and would transfer it to the other car if we went on road trips in that car - when we remembered.  We have been meaning to get one for both cars mostly because my husband commutes an hour to and from work on occasion and we forget to put it in his car.

I wanted to see if it would be less expensive to assemble my own kit before purchasing another preassembled.  Here is what I came up with shopping at Walmart.

THE KIT: $34.97 (minus a few things like tools that you would need to add)

 

 
Tow rope: $12.88

 

 
Gloves: $1.97

 

 
Emergency Road Flares: $6.96 (instead of the reflector triangle)

 

 
2 pack of Safety Lightsticks $4.96

 

 
Compressor - didn't find in store but are $16 on Amazon.
Poncho - $1
Handwarmers $1

 

 
First Aid Kit $4.25- They have car first aid kits 2 for $8.50 right next to these.

 

 
Probably already have a fabric blanket to add.
Possibly have a flashlight you can add.  If not $1-$6
If you don't have jumper cables they are around $10 at Walmart
 
Conclusion:  Saved some money and a lot of time to have the bag with all the supplies all ready to throw in the back of my car.  Personally I think it was a great Christmas present! 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent and extremely critical! When I was about 10 yrs. old our family got stranded in a snow storm and we spent the night in the car in it. My dad was prepared and so it well. I remember how cold it was and how unexpected the storm was. We were about 8 miles from town....but stayed IN the car and thus survived. Took until the next day around noon to get dug out, as even the snow plow got stuck. quite memorable, but because my parents were prepared, we didn't panic...In fact all my sister and I could talk about was the hope there would be no school, we were not saying--"I'm freezing, I'm hungry, I'm scared." Grateful for their wisdom.

    ReplyDelete