Monday, October 22, 2012

Faith in Action - My thoughts

A few weeks back I left a link to a conversation from the Mormon Channel highlighting Barbara Salsbury, expert in Emergency Preparedness.  I am not sure if any of you have had a chance to listen to it so I wanted to share some thoughts I had while listening. 

I am finding myself getting more and more passionate on this subject as the Spirit guides me to information and ideas.  My testimony has grown leaps and bounds in Emergency Preparedness and I sincerely hope that I can help YOU and your family as well as my own family in getting prepared.

When I thought of Emergency Preparedness a few months back my thoughts turned exclusively to preparing to survive the aftermath of a natural disaster.  I thought of storing and grinding wheat and canning garden produce.  It's been interesting to learn that while a natural disaster could happen here in Idaho Falls and we do need to prepare, the more likely crisis we should be preparing for would be an ill family member unable to provide for the family, a death, a job loss.  Essentially the preparation of food storage would be the same.  Maybe the thought process and urgency changes for you though?

As I listened to Sister Salsbury, she mentioned there are usually 2 main excuses people have for not getting prepared:

#1 Not Enough Room
#2 Not Enough Money

I want to talk about these a little bit from what I have experienced and the advice she has given.  These are real and legitimate excuses however, both can be easily overcome.

I think the first thing we all need to realize is that Emergency Preparedness is a commandment.

 Here is what she says:  "When it comes to Emergency Preparedness, it is a commandment. If we believe in following the prophet, then you do what you are asked to do - and in your budget, in your state, in your closet, in your place.. you will be blessed."

I love this insert from a talk by L. Tom Perry called, If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear
“In reviewing the Lord’s counsel to us on the importance of preparedness, I am impressed with the plainness of the message. The Savior made it clear that we cannot place sufficient oil in our preparedness lamps by simply avoiding evil. We must also be anxiously engaged in a positive program of preparation.”
 
He also said: “The Lord will not translate one’s good hopes and desires and intentions into works. Each of us must do that for himself” (The Miracle of Forgiveness, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969, p. 8).

I have also learned through experience that the Lord will provide a way to accomplish His commandments.

1 Nephi 17: 3 And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and astrengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them.

Excuse #1  I don't have any room to start storing. 
Have you considered the space under the beds?  How about adding a temporary or permanent shelf in a closet where cans could be stored?  Get creative!  Pray about it.  Heavenly Father will guide your mind to be creative in finding room to store the necessary items.

Excuse #2  I don't have enough money.
I loved what Sister Salsbury taught that when there is a case lot sale, you don't have to buy the whole case.  Maybe you can only afford 3 extra cans.  The response to that is, GREAT!  The Lord recognizes your efforts and will bless you.  A bag of dry beans or a container of salt is like $.50.  If that is all you can afford extra that pay check, then get it.  It's more than you had before. 

I mentioned in church recently that 4 years ago I had hardly anything prepared for a crisis or disaster.  However it was one of my 2009 New Years Resolutions to save money on groceries and start learning how to use coupons.  I really put a lot of effort into researching the grocery store deals and memorizing the prices of things so I would recognize a good deal vs. a not so good deal.  I realized I was slowly saving money on our monthly groceries and with the same money I was using before, I was stockpiling the sale items that our family normally uses such as laundry and dish soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste.  I have continued this process over the last 4 years and now am pretty confident that my family will be able to more comfortably survive.

I wanted to mention this because the thought of preparing is an overwhelming thought.  There is so much to get gathered and so much to purchase.  It doesn't need to be done all at once.  Just start small and stay consistant.  Over time you will be so glad you did and I testify the Lord will bless you for keeping his commandment.

No comments:

Post a Comment